You probably had a different story in mind for yourself than the one you are living right now. A surprise pregnancy can feel like an obstacle that you don’t know how to handle.
But, take heart. Many women have walked this path and come out on the other side stronger and better for it. In fact, according to the CDC, as many as 51 percent of all pregnancies are unplanned.
Your unplanned pregnancy doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. You still have control over what your future holds because you have more than one choice.
Abortion is not your only option if you do not want to be pregnant.
Why Should You Consider Alternatives to Abortion?
One reason to examine other options is that abortion is not always safe. Even in states where abortion is legal, there are health risks to both medical and surgical abortion.
Health risks of abortion include (but are not limited to):
- Heavy bleeding or hemorrhaging
- Nausea and abdominal pain
- Incomplete abortion (when parts of the pregnancy remain in the uterus)
- Infection that leads to septic or pelvic shock
- Uterine rupture or tearing
Another reason to consider alternatives to abortion is the cost of abortion. The abortion pill costs $700 on average. A surgical abortion can cost anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars. If there are any complications, there will be additional costs. And, since abortion is illegal in Idaho, you will have to add in costs for travel and time off work.
What Are the Benefits of Choosing Adoption Instead?
- Financial Help. When you choose adoption, you don’t have to pay for any of your medical bills associated with prenatal care, labor and delivery, or postpartum care. Some adoption agencies can help you find financial aid for transportation, rent, food, and more.
- Feeling Empowered. You get to call the shots. You pick who adopts your baby. You pick when the baby goes to their home. You pick who is with you in the delivery room. You pick how much contact you want with your child in the future. You can even choose to change your mind after the baby is born if you want to.
- Fulfilling dreams. You will make the dreams come true for a waiting parent who is longing for a child.
- Following your gut. You will be able to look back confidently and say you did what you felt was the best choice for you at this time. You won’t wonder “what if” as you might if you choose abortion.
- Freeing your child for a successful life. If you don’t feel like you are ready to be a parent, adoption can provide your child with all the things that you can’t. Your “mini-me” can have a financially stable home where they can grow up feeling loved and nurtured. This might make them grow up to be a world changer like Nelson Mandela, Steve Jobs, or Nancy Reagan– all of whom were adopted, by the way.
If your pregnancy isn’t something you planned for yourself, it is OK. You are going to be OK.
We would be happy to talk to you about abortion and adoption and answer any further questions you may have. Please contact us today for a free consultation.